Monday, December 6, 2010

Why It Sucks to Be a Woman in Hong Kong



I found this link while working last week and I thought it was very interesting. And although the girl in the video is speaking about gender notions in Hong Kong I believed that a lot of what she says applies to the American society as well. I think its interesting that gender notions do not really vary from place to place and women are usually oppressed in similar ways. I think its interesting how sexism exist most in our daily lives through our gender expectations. I also really liked how she categorized the types of roles women have in society.

1 comment:

  1. What she says is interesting, and I'm pretty sure that its not just applicable to women in Hong Kong. Unfortunately the ideals revolving around what a woman should be is not limited to country. Globally and historically woman have been viewed as objects for men. It’s not new, its not right, but unfortunately it definitely isn’t over.

    ReplyDelete