Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Provincetown, Mass





The happiest place on earth to some, to others, a tourist spot. It is honestly an experience to remember!  As you can see in the photos above, people are free to express themselves as the wish without any concern about public scrutiny.  In Provincetown, being a member of the LGBT community is the norm.  Walking down the streets, shopping, sight seeing and eating out, you can see a multitude of people just being their happy selves.  I have not seen more muscular guys with great tans and tattoos walking hand in hand with little pomeranians or shitzus ever before in my life.  The rainbow LGBT flag is hung and displayed ALL over town and it is a known spot for LGBT community members.  There are parades every Thursday and people who dress in very ornate costumes.  This town is on the beach and is also a town that offers whale watches on the water.  All the pictures above are from my two trips to P-town with my boyfriend and his parents over the summer on the Cape.  Dame Edna was by far the funniest comedian we saw there!

1 comment:

  1. This raises a serious question for me that i'm sort of torn about. From what I understand, there are two gay rights movements: one that is flagrant and in your face (flamboyant, gay parades, gay pride) (GLF anyone?) and the other that conforms to heterosexual norms (family values, marriage, not hypersexual) to gain support and acceptance by the vehicle of "being just like everyone else." I am torn about this because i think that compromising part of your identity to gain acceptance is not okay, HOWEVER I also think that it is the most effective way to gain acceptance.

    This bothers me because I see no reconciliation..
    thoughts?

    ReplyDelete