Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Is it okay to have a gay crush?

You may be completely straight, in a long term relationship with your (wo)man, but still have a 'girl crush'/ 'man crush' on a celebrity.  I mean really? I personally have NO problems saying that Angelina Jolie is absolutely gorgeous as well as Victoria's Secret Angel Alessandra Ambrosio.  They have everything going on for them and I will admit that Alessandra Ambrosio may be my 'girl crush.' That is not saying that I have any hidden volitions or any homosexual thoughts about my 'girl crush' but it is just me acknowledging her gorgeousness. So I ask you...who is your 'girl crush' or 'man crush?'

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you bring this up because if there is a movie with Gerard Butler I will watch it not caring if it is good or not just because he is in it. We all first saw him in 300 and that was the movie that started my 'man crush'. But yes, 'man' or ''woman crushes' are to me perfectly fine. I get 'man crushes' all the time on celebrities, but all I am doing is expressing my acknowledgment of how good looking those men are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really understand why it is that we can't just say "crush" regardless of gender. A crush itself is a harmless thing. It doesn't have to have any romantic connotations... It's just you expressing the fact that you like something about a person (as Mariah stated in her post, usually acknowledging "gorgeousness"). My point is that if you are confident enough in yourself in youself and your sexuality, then you should have no problem with admitting that someone of the same sex is attractive (like I do with No Doubt frontwoman Gwen Stefani... She's absolutely beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Mariah, personally i have a man crush on Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Neil Patrick Harris, Rajon Rondo, Kevin Garnett, and all of the actors from Spartacus. Personally, I don't feel marginalized or even uncomfortable at all about admitting to it. I think that you might be scrutinizing into this topic and subject a little too much. In the grand the scheme and in light of all the recent issues I think that bromance and gay crushes might just top one of the least influential topics I have come across. This issue is far too personal and its impact does not ripple past the act of teasing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete