Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Gay Education



I found this video called "Gay Education" which attempts to refute common misconceptions about homosexuality. I really liked the video because I felt that it addressed a lot of these misconceptions but in an academic and eloquent way. For instance toward the end of the video, it points out the several scientific institutions that have proven and claimed that homosexuality is not a choice and that others shouldn't attempt to fix it.

However, a few things that made me uncomfortable about this video.  For instance, I really didn't like how it didn't even try to address the issues of female sexuality. I don't believe that there isn't enough research to at least present these issues and talk about it. Second, I really didn't like how it tried to claim that the more male babies a woman has, the more her body will try to feminized the male fetus. So feminizing a boy makes him gay? What does that even mean? It seems like this video reinforced male gender roles, in the sense that masculinity means you are straight but if you are "feminized" that makes you gay. Thats how it seemed like to me, what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment