Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Do We Intervene?



Okay recently I wrote about "What Would You Do" a television show that test people's moral consciousness and pushes them to "do the right thing" and intervene when they see something wrong. This is an ad about domestic violence. The supposed "experiment" serves to point out that many women are murdered in their own homes meanwhile their neighbors may have heard it and never did anything about it. It's a stark contrast to the fact that neighbors are quick to complain about music noise, but not when they hear a woman getting brutally beaten.

I guess my point is that, would would you do if you were the neighborhood and heard this next door? We live in a society where violence against women is very common and I believe it's because we live in a society that does not respect women's bodies. So although I may be playing devils advocate (because this is the opposite perspective of my other post), do you think this is a situation of which we need to be active and stand up against or passively ignore it?

1 comment:

  1. I believe that unfortunately people are more inclined to interrupt a drumming session because its more likely that no confrontation will be necessary. In today’s society, it has become human nature to be concerned with self-preservation. In attempt to avoid confrontation and the possibility of causing harm to oneself, people will not physically interject but I don’t think all hope it lost. I was watching “What Would You Do?” and the host stated that different people have different means of reacting. Some people are confrontational and some would just called the cops. As long as action is taken I don’t care about the methods. What is problematic though is if people heard this and no one called the cops…

    ReplyDelete