Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Boys Beware

While surfing YouTube a few days ago, I came across this 1950's vintage propaganda video


Here are a few of the things that jumped out and caught my eye: "Ralph was sick, a sickness that was not visible... contagious.... sickness of the mind... demands an intimate relationship with members of the same sex...he may appear normal"

I still struggle when trying to rationalize the common mentality of the time. I had to keep reminding myself that it was considered an illness in those days, that to be a homosexual was to be a menace to society and a threat to the way of life. But what really frightens me is the thought that there are still people who think this way. Maybe not verbatim, but they certainly share the same ideals. They still hold that gays are sick in the same way that pedophiles are. All I can hope for is progress in our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment