Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Today's Activism




While in the library I found this book called, The Disobedient Generation: Social Theorists In The Sixties by Alan Sica and Stephen Sturner.

 It caught my attention because I know that I feel rather disappointed with my generation and our lack of activism. I've often wonder what inspired the youth then to be activists. In the chapter The Sixties and Me, Jeffery C Alexander writes that, "the cultural and political radicalism of the sixties focused on emotions and morality, on the structure and restructuring of internal life".  Does this mean that our generation lacks emotion and morality? While writing my paper about the future of LGBT rights, I started to think about how our activism as American citizens influence the progress our society makes. While I believe that we will make progress, I believe that it might take longer than we would like because we aren't pressing these issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment