Friday, October 22, 2010

Well, since I do talk about South Park all the time...

Here are a few of the episodes of South Park that are more relevant to our course material.  I mean, there are a great many more (so, so many) because if you ask me there's a good episode of South Park about everything, but these four are ones I mentioned in class or ones that particularly reminded me of our CSP.  WARNING for mature content, and (just in case someone has never heard of South Park before) easily offended people should not watch these videos.
Death Camp of Tolerance: Mr. Garrison, (the boys' openly gay teacher), returns to his job at South Park elementary after having a nervous breakdown.  He discovers the potential for earning thousands of dollars in a lawsuit if the school fires him for his sexual orientation, and becomes flamboyantly gay and inappropriately sexual in the classroom in an effort to cause this to happen.  When Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman are bothered by his actions, they are sent to the Death Camp of Tolerance to learn to accept other peoples' differences.
South Park is Gay: "Meterosexuality" becomes the new trend in South Park, with the town's straight men acting feminine in order to get girls to like them better.  Mr. Garrison and the other South Park gays are affronted.  Includes a "Metero Pride" parade featuring the chant "We're Here/We're not Queer/But We're Close/Get Used to It."
Cartman Sucks: A photo Cartman takes puts fellow student Butters in a compromising position and Butters' conservative Christian parents send him to a gay conversion camp.
The F-Word: A loud annoying motorcycle gang arrives in town, and the boys and their classmates call the offending motorcyclists faggots.  The adults inform them that they can't say that word, it's a bad name for gay people, and the kids say that they had no idea it had anything to do with gay people.  They just always associated it with being a word to make fun of conceited annoying motorcyclists.

Enjoy.  (And again, do not watch if easily offended.  I promise I have a soul, I just also happen to find this stuff hilarious.)

1 comment:

  1. I adore South Park. I know that some people find it to be completely tasteless and offensive, but I will most certainly stand by it. Being an avid SP fan, I have seen all of the episodes listed (most of them multiple times). I think that the genius of South Park is that they make fun of everyone. Gay, Straight, Black, White, Male, Female, whatever it may be, South Park has likely made fun of it. And I think it's wonderful. Obviously it's a (highly offensive) comedy show, but it also helps to bring the shortcomings of our society to light.

    ReplyDelete