Thursday, October 7, 2010

Racial Profiling

When I think of the words "racial profiling", images of airport security personnel meticulously checking the pockets of everything Arab-appearing man pop into my head. But I have the strange feeling that many of you wouldn't experience the same thing-- you would remember being caught Driving While Black or labeled a certain way because of your accented English. My immediate reaction to the words is no doubt based on my own Aryan appearance. I have no cause to think of aything else, no other experiences to think about.

Amnesty International reports that "racial profiling encourages hate and undermines national unity", which, I think, any person in this class could have articulated. The idea is that, especially since September 11, Americans have propagated the idea that racial profiling, discrimination, and hate crimes against minorities are acceptable-- helpful even, for tracking down terrorists. It's a ridiculous and terrible notion that increases the gap of treatment for minorities. This has been a steadily increasing problem since before September 11, but the World Trade Center attack was what really set it off-- the Bush Administration, at the time, promised to halt the use of racial profiling... right before it became common practice in TSA's work in American airports.

Racial profiling is something rarely considered by state legal systems. California is one of the only states that forbids racial profiling of motorists AND pedestrians, as well as religious profiling.

"Racial profiling . . . is one of the most ineffective strategies, and I call it nothing less than lazy, sloppy police work. It's basically saying you don't want to learn about your community, you don't want to learn about people's behavior, you don't want to do your job, and don't want to investigate, you just want to stop a lot of people and see if you can come up with some statistical number at the end of the evening. . . ."
—Testimony of Captain Ron Davis, Oakland Police Department,
National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE),
Oakland, CA, Sept. 9, 2003

1 comment:

  1. Racial profiling is something that I have been affected from personally I have been held by airport security on suspicion of carrying a weapon. I was the ONLY one checked as well as the only non-white person on board.

    I have also been followed into stores by police and I was questioned about a gang member I did not know. All-in-all, I am not a huge fan of the police and I no longer like to be around them anymore. I do not trust them because of their extensive racial profiling and their sloppy police work. Although I have respect for the admirable policemen and women who nobly perform their duties to protect and serve, I despise the bigoted, lazy, bashful, and incompetent idiots that make me want to listen to N.W.A's "Fuck Da Police."

    ReplyDelete