Saturday, October 9, 2010

Stereotypes Advertised to Children

When I was watching the movie today in class, I was thinking to myself about all the movies I've seen with  characters that have been "emphasized" or "heightened" to have a stronger personality that follows their racial, gender, or sexual stereotype. For example, many Asians are illustrated with tiny eyes, very light pale skin, straight black hair, studious and in most occasions "oriental" accents. This is what the media wants! This is the kind of humor that society eats up. But stereotypes aren't just advertised within the adult media, but adolescent media as well. Even in children's cartoons stereotypes are advertised to children.
However, the media doesn't always shine negative images on social minorities...
At my high school a woman came and spoke to our school about the ways in which the LGBT is treated today. She brought us through why the word "fag" was an unacceptable synonym for "stupid" or any words with negative connotations. She also read us a book titled, Daddy, Papa and Me which really had a lasting impact on me. Though merely just a children's book, this book really touched me! It made me feel great that though there aren't many pieces of literature out there that promotes and focuses on LGBT couples with children.
Overall, it really makes me sad that the society has ways of shining negative images and using social minorities for entertainment.
I feel as though there should be more positive forms of television/literature like the book Daddy, Papa and Me that really shows society that these racial/sexual groups are okay.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, when I was little my uncle and his partner gave my sister and I a book called "My Two Uncles" about having a gay uncle and how homosexuality is okay, etc. etc. I'm pretty sure it was by a local Seattle author, but still, if you're looking for examples of pro-homosexual children's literature or media, it's encouraging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juliah-
    Something that I question myself is whether its better to have a negative image of LGBT rights portrayed in the media than nothing at all. If nothing about LGBT rights was made public in general media then people wouldn't be aware of what was going on with them. Although negative attention isn't the ideal way to inform people of what is going on with LGBT rights, it gets the job done. However, the question still stands: is popular awareness at the cost of negatively portraying LGBT rights worth it?

    ReplyDelete