Thursday, October 7, 2010

Things NOT to Ask a Gay Guy



I found this video to be interesting in the sense that it gives us a glimpse into what gay men are commonly asked.  I also looked at the comments for this video and found that there was a sizable amount of anti-gay spam. Here is what these ignorant people had to say: "Homosexuality is a disease!!!!!!!!", "F*CKING F*G! DIE N*GGER LOVER! F*CKING F*G! DIE N*GGER LOVER!", "f*ck u kwer u should go kill urself it rim bitch", "f*gs need to stay away from children and families. get back in your closets and stfu. seriously gays are so dumb they bang the same sex retards.", "F*CKING F*GGOT GO F*CKING DIE YOU F*CKING C*CKSUCKER GO BURN IN HELL! I HOPE YOU F*CKING DIE F*CKING F*GGOT", etc. Unfortunately, the list goes on and on. My one question is this: Why would you watch/comment on this video if you have such a narrow-minded point of view?

Edited by Professor Buckmire. I don't think words that can not be said on television should be included on our course blog. One can still fully understand the content without being assaulted by the unedited words.

3 comments:

  1. People probably comment on it because people in general tend to feel a lot bolder on the Internet. They'll never have to face the guy in the video, they'll never have to deal with the people they might offend. They just throw out a few offensive words without much thought. I don't like reading comments on any YouTube video because they're all so mean. I wonder who exactly wrote such horrible things. I doubt all of them are immature middle school boys. <-- preconceived notion that BOYS are usually the troublemakers! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I... have to agree with Sophia. As much as there's an obvious connection to the general homophobia of the population when you look at Youtube comments like that, to my dismay I must admit that I frequent Youtube and frankly, the comments section is usually just a lace to display how stupid you are and how big your balls are to the rest of the internet. The people who post these comments are known by most as trolls, with good reason.

    Pardon my jadedness. Just do yourself a favor and don't read Youtube comments in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with the abovementioned ideas in the comments-- there are so many forums out there where people are bold in their anonymity and simply spew hate language.

    On the other hand, I'm wondering about the video itself. Is it an honest portrayl meant to educate the public about homosexuality? Because it seems to me that there's clearly some comedic elements in there. My question is this-- does this video, rather than educating the public about homosexuality, in fact do just what the Celluloid Closet was talking about and marginalize it even further?

    ReplyDelete