Thursday, October 21, 2010

No Homo: Hip Hop Homophobia or Hidden Homoeroticism?

This video is a rather humorous explanation on the phrase poplar in Hip-Hop known as "No Homo" coined by Cam'ron and popularized by rapper Lil Wayne.






It is rather fascinating how the term "no homo"is used in everyday slang. It spread like wildfire in my own community and even I said it a lot when I was in high school. The term is used to reaffirm one's heterosexuality after committing a seemingly homosexual act. When one says "suck my d**k" and follows up "no homo," then he is consciously aware of the seemingly homosexual connotations attached to that phrase. 

This brings me to question. If some is knowingly saying something that can be perceived as homosexual, then is s/he gay? Well, evidence may point to rappers engaged in possible homoeroticism, usually with them posing by themselves with their shirts off and chests glistening or with each other. Some critics point to these examples as possible homoeroticism and that using terms like "no homo" is to deny their hidden sexuality.

It is probably unlikely that the rapper that use "no homo" are gay but simply that they could be perceived as such through their lyrics. If rappers are perceived as homosexual, then they are not seen as masculine as noted in the video. In Hip-Hop culture, if anyone is seen to lack masculinity then they will lose respect because they are seen as weak. 

4 comments:

  1. Umm, yeah. The intersection of black masculinity, hip-hop and homophobia is a very interesting thicket that one could get lost in for days.

    What the heck are we supposed to make of this picture of 50-Cent and Souljah Boy on the November 2010 cover of XXL Magazine?

    No homo. I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Professor, the cover was right; this is a haters worst nightmare because I am not a fan of either 50 Cent or Soulja Boy because I find their music tasteless and without meaning. With that said it is also conceptually a homophobe's worst nightmare because of two supposed "gangstas" posed in a seemingly homoerotic way. Either way, "no homo" is something that has been abused like "the DL," just because it is used in any situation.

    But I agree with you in that the intersection between homophobia and hip-hip is something scholars and critics could discuss for a lengthy period of time. I just wonder how gay rappers (the few out there at least) feel about this or if they will say what some of my gay friends back home say, "no hetero."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear the term "no homo" in songs all the time and it never ceases to surprise me. In particular i am always shocked how it is said so carelessly, as if the speaker really has no idea that what they are saying might be offensive.

    I also do not understand why it is used at all since many times rappers say it after a compliment to another man. That shows the social condstruction of masculinity in that a man can't even be nice without it being seen as gay.

    Overall, I think that the term will die out with more education...just look at "that's gay" which is much less popular(but still used sadly) than it was before

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still surprised that I had never heard the term "no homo" before this class. Now that I've been exposed to it, it's as though the term is everywhere. I'm still not sure of the functionality of it. If you feel comfortable enough with saying something or complementing someone, then stand by it. To me, the term "no homo" almost cheapens the original comment or compliment. If you are confident enough in yourself, then there really is no need for phrases like this one.

    ReplyDelete