Sunday, October 17, 2010

Suicides in LGBT Community!

As I was researching the recent incidents happening with the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth, I found out that they are "up to four times more likely to commit suicide" than the rest of the heterosexual community. This was truly frightening to me, but it makes sense because of the struggles that they face each and everyday.Struggles that they should not face! I was also trying to find ways to prevent suicides. I know there are many things we can do to help a friend and I want to share the links with you. I have many friends that could be in this situation; at risk of committing suicide. I know many of you are also in the same position. I want to help before it is too late!

 Remember to wear purple on Wednesday October 20th in honor of the gay suicides that have occurred. Rest In Peace!

The Trevor Project, a National LGBT Help Line!

1 comment:

  1. I think the recent white-board campaign at Oxy and the national (international?) Wear-Purple Day are really good examples of things that people can do to spread awareness. Ignorance is the root of intolerance, and it's important that everyone demonstrate just how much they support equality for everyone-- including LGBTQ persons.

    ReplyDelete