Thursday, September 30, 2010

Freshman at Rutgers Kills Himself Internet Exposure


This upsetting video clip was forwarded to me by a student in CSP 20. This incident hurts me deeply; the fact that this college freshman, so close to me in age, was compelled to take his own life after being exposed in such a vindictive way by his roommate makes me question whether we are making any progress whatsoever in regard to the gay rights movement. I am truly frightened by the potency of teenage malice. 


http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/tragic-end-online-spying-rutgers-student-tyler-clementi-suicide-11764232?&clipId=11764232&playlistId=11763784&cid=siteplayer

3 comments:

  1. From what I've heard, this is the fourth or fifth gay suicide in the past three weeks, and it's starting to get to the point where I wonder exactly what prompts someone to do something like this. Honestly, I don't really know why people won't just let people live their lives and be happy. It doesn't interfere with anyone else's lives. To bully and expose someone to the point that they are compelled to take their own life makes me wonder just how "progressive" American can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story affects every college student who has a roommate and even those that don't. It brings up not only the issue of gay rights, but also invasion of privacy. Whether it was a prank or not, that gives no right for the roommate to post up the video. It does not matter if it was a man or a woman. It just goes to show that we have a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This incident solidifies the fact that society still has major strides to make in regards to accepting people that are different. This incident hits home for me literally because I am from New Jersey and I my sister goes to Rutgers New Brunswick. It problematic that at this point in time people still find the same sex relations abnormal. In order society to ever progress, we must reform the way we think and act. As we approach a new age, the prejudices of yesterday must be left in the past, and open-mindedness must brought with us to the future. For the sake of the advancement of mankind I hope that people are able to see beyond what makes them different from one another, and instead focus in on the factor that unites us all.

    ReplyDelete