Monday, September 13, 2010

Race: The Power of an Illusion Video

After watching Race: The Power of an Illusion video in class, I found myself pondering on just how accurate this video was. To my astonishment, I connected this video to the movie La Misma Luna I watched during MSI. The film has a clear objective: to reveal the injustices of racial construction, but by using pictures, sounds, and clips that are specifically designed to evoke an emotional response, almost
delegitimizes the objective perspective of the film. By not providing opposing rational and clearly portraying the verdict of the Supreme Court in the Owaza and Thind as seemingly ridiculous, the film loses neutrality and authenticity. The film connects to La Misma Luna because I think both films hyper-humanize situations and characters to try and emphasize the inequalities of racial and social construction. I am not saying that the film is in anyway illegitimate, in fact, I believe that this film changed the way I perceive how races are divided and constructed. I am although stating that to a certain degree, the hyper-humanized characters purposefully manipulated to stir up emotion, makes the film subjective to the author's intentions.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796307/

1 comment:

  1. What does "hyper-humanize" mean? I think you are saying that you were impacted by La Misma Luna (The same Moon) as much as you were affected by Race: the Power of an Illusion in that both films perhaps made you think about ideas in a new light. That's a good thing, no?

    If you edit your own post, you can make your link an actual live link using the blue LINK button in the edit window.

    ReplyDelete