Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Ethics of (en)Forcing the Gender Binary

In "The Meaning of Difference," the authors write that hermaphrodites are commonly thought to be 
"accidents of birth".
This is one example of the very little consideration to the ethics of the standard "forced sex" surgical policy for born hermaphrodites. Furthermore (aside from the surgery itself), as in the case of the "girl" in Drecher's "From Bisexuality to Intersexuality", s/he is kept totally ignorant of the fact that she had been surgically assigned his/her gender. 
To me, this is absurd.

my opinion:
--> Personally, I think that an individual's reproductive rights are their most fundamental, untouchable rights because their reproductive organs and sexuality are the deepest, most untouchable part of self. I think that no one but that individual should have the ability to control their sexuality/sexual organs, including parents
-->This is why I support freedom in all that this position encompasses (provided no harm is done to any party (no bestiality, nonconsentual sex, or incest, thanks...)). So, yes, I support birth control, marriage for all, abortions without parental consent or notification, etc. 
-->Meanwhile I oppose clitorectomies, circumcision, arranged marriages, forced chastity, and even imposing views on others about what sex should be.

-->I also oppose nonconsentual sex assignment surgery. 


No comments:

Post a Comment