Sunday, September 19, 2010

Discrimination Against Black Women

As I read Free Papers by Daniel J. Wideman I realized that the piece concentrated on the issue of young black men being discriminated against. Not once was discrimination against young black women mentioned. Discrimination against black women isn’t only disregarded only in this piece but in many other places in society. Since this issue is so ignored I decided to do a bit of research and find out in what ways black women were most discriminated against and how they dealt with it. I was also curious to learn if they were more heavily discriminated against than black men because of their gender.

The most useful and informational article that I found was Black Women: The Unfinished Agenda by Cecilia A. Conrad in The American Prospect. This article explained how black women are discriminated against both because of their race and gender. Hence, even though black women have advanced so much in the fields of education they still earn less than black men, white women, and white men. The unemployment rates are also a lot higher for black women than all the previous categories mentioned. The article goes on to explain the detrimental effects of discrimination against black women. It’s a very interesting and enlightening article, I recommend everyone to read it.

1 comment:

  1. I read this article and I am inclined to agree to what was said about black women having a "double whammy" when it came to discrimination. It is my belief that not only black women but all minority women are at a severe disadvantage than males of any race. The article could have mentioned other races instead of reinforcing the black/white binary that is so common when discussing race relations.

    ReplyDelete