Thursday, September 16, 2010

The poster I had mentioned in class

So unfortunately, I have as of yet been unable to get a photo of this thing and upload it, as my digital camera is officially dead and I do not currently have the time/resources to go out to the nearest store and buy some batteries.  However I managed to find the site selling the posters, so you can take a gander at it there if you have a burning desire to.  (Planning on going shopping this weekend so once I have batteries, I can embed a photo in this blog post for those of you too lazy to click on the link and then click on the poster.)  Till then, the poster I'm referring to is the image in the top right of that link.

For those of you who are not in my section of the CSP, what I'm talking about here is a poster featuring an image of a somewhat androgynous child, with a list of things boys/girls can like and do that go against their gender roles, somewhat reminiscent of the story of X.  I'm quite fond of it personally, and when I saw the poster in the window of the Center for Gender Equity here on campus, I realized this is the third time I have seen said poster.  The first time I don't remember too clearly, as I believe it was posted on the wall at one of the buildings I visited frequently as a child... not sure whether it was at school or some extracurricular program, I just distinctly remember the poster.  The second place is in the staff office at the Portland, OR Rock 'n' Roll Camp for Girls, which is one of my favorite places on earth.  I went there the summer of my 8th grade, freshman, and sophomore year and saw for myself what a powerful experience it provides for many young girls and teens, and I highly recommend renting the documentary about it if you have any interest whatsoever.  (Incidentally, yes, that is me with my friends/band in the second photo down on the front page, from about 3 years ago.)

No comments:

Post a Comment