Monday, September 20, 2010

Effeminacy. Too Feminine?

While I was browsing Twitter this morning, I saw a link to an article that claims that there should be a line between those who are effeminate (and male identifying) and homosexual and those who are effeminate and claim to be heterosexual. The article (found here), pictures Bill Kaulitz from the German band Tokio Hotel. Bill is the lead singer, and self-identifies as a heterosexual male. He does, however, have a very soft face, and can often be seen wearing eye makeup, which I've come to realize is a signifier of femininity.


This is Bill. He doesn't, however, wear traditionally feminine clothing. He dresses in jeans and t-shirts, but he chooses to wear his hair long. I fail to see how this makes a person "too feminine to be straight."

Intrigued, I started thinking about the different ways that the media affects what people think of a person's sexuality. For example, Adam Lambert is openly homosexual, but his bass player, Tommy Ratliff (on the right), is heterosexual. During the "Glamnation" tour, there are multiple homoerotic moments between the two, and there are many different kisses throughout the night. Does this make Tommy Ratliff homosexual, or is it a part of the desire for more attention? Maybe it's just fun?

So then, where do we draw the line? At what point does typically homosexual behavior make a heterosexual man seem gay? Who decides?

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that upon seeing this photo I thought it was was woman until I read the description. I too do not see how you can be "too feminine to be straight" unless you have a sexual relationship with another man, which Bill obviously does not.

    As for Tommy Ratliff, people should not think of him as homosexual. I remember hearing about this months ago and I recall Tommy engaging in the kiss for the publicity. However, while it is okay to engage in freedom of expression on tour, it is not okay for Adam Lambert or any singer regardless of sexual orientation to engage in any lewd, inappropriate, or erotic behavior on national television like what Lambert did at the AMA's of 2009.

    ReplyDelete