Thursday, September 16, 2010

Boggled?

I found a list of commonly agreed upon traits that define what most people expect of males versus females. It reminded me a lot of the boggle game on wednesday (which had me identifying with a surprisingly large number of male characteristics) so when I found this "official" list of stereotypes, I compared them to my own traits and highlighted the ones I identified with. 



MasculineFeminine
InexpressiveEmotional
AggressiveExpressive
AmbitiousCompassionate
AnalyticalChildlike
AssertiveGentle
SuccessfulLoyal
CompetitiveSensitive
ForcefulTender
IndependentUnderstanding
DominantYielding
Strong personalityGullible
AthleticRefined
InvulnerableWarm



Does this mean that  my personality is 
9/15 = 60% male 

and
6/15 = 40% female?


Try yours :) !?? 

2 comments:

  1. That's a very interesting article you link to, which has some very interesting things to say about how gender is constructed and performed in our society.

    I encourage others to read it. It's not clear to me if the list of stereotypes was "generally agreed upon" by scientists however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose there really can't be an "official" list as gender roles are arguably entirely socially constructed

    ReplyDelete