Monday, November 22, 2010

"Reteaching Gender and Sexuality"


So, I was watching this video online today, and it got me to thinking about how the majority of the Prop 8 campaign (both yes and no), and the It Gets Better project focus on being gay as not being a normal part of society. While the It Gets Better project does serve to promote hope, this video talks bluntly about the fact that many people who identify as queer youth are tired of being put under the "LGBT umbrella." This really make me think, and I'm hoping it'll do the same to you.

1 comment:

  1. You're kind of my hero for posting this video. I've never seen it before, but I wish I had. It pretty much summed up a lot of things I'd been tossing around in my head for a long time, trying to work out why our society can't deal with the fact that non-normative does not equal bad... and why we have such a compulsive need to label things, label people.

    Wouldn't the world be a better place if there wasn't homosexual and heterosexual? If there was no "straight" (and implications that anything else is broken or bent), no "bi", no "gay", no "lesbian".... wouldn't the world be a better place if there was only one thing-- love?

    ReplyDelete