Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Why I'm Not Getting Married Until Gay Marriage is Legalized

Let me forward this by pointing out that the reason is not just the possibility of me marrying a woman.  I'm actually undecided in my personal sexuality, so there's a perfectly good chance of me falling in love with a young man who I could, quite legally, in any state of my choosing, enter into nuptials with.  There's also the chance, which I have known for quite a while, that the person I fall in love with will not believe in the institution of marriage, (though I do,) as let's face it, I hang out with hippies.  And the whole point might actually be moot, because I have no intention of getting married until I'm well into my 20s and I really really hope that by that time, gay marriage will be legal anyway.  But if it isn't, and I do end up in a serious relationship with a man, and he does believe in the institution of marriage, I'm still not going to marry him until gay marriage is legalized nationally.

I haven't actually mentioned this to many people yet, thus I wanted to blog about it publicly.  Honestly, the reasoning is pretty simple in my mind.  As stated, I hang out with hippies, I'm really really obviously left-leaning, and I have been raised to believe in equality in all its forms.  Actually, when I was very little, I didn't even get that there was something unusual about two men being together - my gay uncle gave my sister and I a children's picture book called "My Two Uncles," and I liked the book, but the fact is, I didn't need the book to inform me of how okay it was that he was romantically involved with another man... it was just kind of fact to me for as long as I can remember.  If anything, I have taken that ethos far further than I think my parents expected me to, and am currently planning on going into a career as a lawyer to put my ideals into action.  And another way of doing that, i.e. putting my ideals into action, for me is to refuse to get married to a man until gay marriage is legalized.  As long as the situation in the United States is such that, if I were to want to marry a woman, I would not be allowed to, there is absolutely no reason why I should be able to marry a man either.  In short, if you're forbidding their gay marriage, my straight marriage should be forbidden too.  Incidentally, according to my friend Christine (she and my sister are the only people I've mentioned it to since deciding, since it came up in conversation,) this tactic was followed on the TV show Queer as Folk, which is hardly surprising, and reminds me that I should watch it.

So, anyway, just wanted to say that, and figured this would be a good platform to.  Thoughts?  Am I insane?  Do you approve?  Do we have better things to talk about?  Well, yes to the last one, but...

4 comments:

  1. There's actually a growing movement of straight people who are refusing to get married until gay marriage is legal.

    Another strategy people are using to raise awareness about the plight of same-sex coupoles is if they do get married, they ask for donations in lieu of gifts to an organization fighting for marriage equality, like Freedom To marry or other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hanna, I completely agree. Though I have no idea what path my love life will take. I completely support this decision. It's very logical that you want to wait. It is definitely very similar to those awareness days where students "vow to fast the whole day to see what it's like in a starving country." However, I think what you are doing is very powerful and that by telling people, they grow awareness as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AGREE!!!! I just realized that I've never given this enough thought.

    But you're completely right. If somebody does not believe in marriage as it is currently defined, it would be hypocritical and pandering to marry that way. I just might join this movement it sounds like something that needs more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have decided not to get married until, all of my fellow citizens have the right to marry as well. I have too many friends and family members who will not get to enjoy the same rights as I will for me to, in good concious, get married.

    I know that many people opt to just get married in countries that do allow gay marriage, but I am not sure if I will go that route. I just hope we can all freely marry soon

    ReplyDelete