Friday, November 26, 2010

Across the Universe, Across all Borders

On my flight to Vancouver yesterday, I was watching one of my all time favorite movies Across the Universe and embracing the incredible work of Julie Taymor (director of Broadway's Lion King). This movie, to those who haven't watched it, is about the younger generation during the 80s and their struggle with the Vietnam war, accompanied by the music of the Beatles.

One thing occurred to me when I was watching this movie is the lack of a revolution in our generation. There has been a series of revolutions led by the younger generation throughout US history and it seemed like we have lost the momentum since 90s. Of course, I'm not saying that we should fight without a cause and plan. A revolution is not a successful one without a positive cause and realistic plan; to fight without rationale is never triumphant (remember GLF?). Yet, it is disappointing that we live in a generation overwhelmed by technology, and lost sight of the need to stand up. There is always something to fight for: war in Iraq, LGBTQ discrimination and even world hunger. These are ambitious goals and may take years (or possibly never) before we see any positive results, but as Benjamin Disraeli once said, "action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action." 




I'll end this post with a short clip of a scene from the movie. This number is called Revolution, and it is about radicals protesting in wars, to the extend it becomes destructive. It is definitely one of my favorite numbers in the movie (even though it is not particularly the most dramatic performance to showcase Julie Taymor's brilliance).

Happy Thanksgiving!


1 comment:

  1. It's interesting because my first thought was "we're too young to start a revolution!"

    My next thought was how absurd my first one was. At what age are we suddenly the "right" age? When does it become acceptable for us to step outside ourselves and think about change on a broader, global basis? Is it ever too soon?

    Also.... I love this clip and this movie :)

    ReplyDelete