Tuesday, November 2, 2010

If Prop 19 Passes...

All right, so this is what I think about the following things:
  • The legalization of marijuana
  • Why I'm upset about this whole thing
  • What I will feel like if Proposition 19 passes
First, I'd like to address that I believe that Proposition 19 should pass. Honestly, if people want to do something, they're going to do it whether or not it's illegal. I know that for fact. There are also the people who are only doing it because it's illegal. Believe me, I think it's stupid to do something for that reason, but I know people who do things for "the thrill of the chase." But that's besides the point. To legalize marijuana would not be the end of the world. California would tax it to no end, and the economy would start moving again, which is something that we in California very sorely need. As per usual, while looking this up, Wikipedia had the information about Prop 19 that I was looking for. It basically explains what would happen if the proposition were legal. Okay, that's how I feel about this piece. Let's move on to point two.

The whole reason that I'm upset about Proposition 19 passing is because I would much rather see same-sex marriage legal than the legalization of marijuana. People got so excited in college (and elsewhere, but I heard about it tons more here) about this proposition passing in a way that I never saw about Proposition 8 getting overturned. If (as we're reading), marriage is a fundamental right, why can't everyone marry? This is the question that many Americans are ignoring in favor of things like this:
  • "Yes we cannabis" (one of the many signs I saw in my dorm room with a picture of Obama smoking what looks suspiciously like a joint)
  • Well, they'll be able to get married eventually. Why not make a difference about this?
I don't understand how marijuana could ever take priority over something that's supposed to be a basic and fundamental human right.

If Proposition 19 passes in the wake of Proposition 8 passing and "preserving traditional marriage," I will be so disappointed. Not in the fact that the proposition passed, and not because people voted against marriage equality, but because more people voted for the legalization of marijuana than they did for the legalization of marriage to two people in love, regardless of sex or gender.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the issue. If Prop 19 fails, then I suppose that this whole blog post is in vain, but whatever. I felt the need to explain this situation to people who might understand where I'm coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment